Sunday, June 2, 2013

Widgets

Paul - Balance Update 02

Paul
Paul
Anyone playing the Online WW Championship seeing a lot of Pauls lately? I for one see a Paul every 3 fights (my rating is currently 1280s). Wondering why there are so many Pauls? My guess is because ever since May 21st, Paul has received 3 boosts to 3 cards that make it very likely that he can Strike you with 5 cards when you are at full HP and there is literally nothing you can do about it. Those 3 cards would be, Double Strike (Damage increased to 55 from 40), God Hammer Punch (damage increased to 15 from 4, this card is significant because of it's ability: Strike : Opp -1 Parry) and Phoenix Wings (damage increased to 60 from 50). Still not convinced? Let me put together a quick Paul deck that has the potential to One Hit KO any character despite their power card (this includes a 255 HP Nina with 255 HP)

  • 3x Shoulder Tackle: 50 Damage, Punch, After the attack: This card blocked: -20 HP
  • 3x Double Strike: 55 Damage, Punch, Before the attack: Focus Opp HP ≤ 90: -20 HP
  • 3x Flash Elbow: 50 Damage, Punch, Before the attack: Opp Block: -10 HP
  • 3x Phoenix Wings: 60 Damage, Kick, After the attack: Cards ≥ 3: -20 HP
  • 1x Thruster: 75 Damage, Punch, After the attack: This card appears Cards ≥ 2: -30 HP
  • 1x God Hammer Punch: 15 Damage, Punch, Before the attack: Strike: Opp -1 Parry
  • 1x Kongo Blast : 5 Damage, After the attack: Strike: Opp -2 Parry
  • Power Card: 165 HP, First turn: +1 card, 1st card + 15 Hit
Strategy: Focus till 5 cards, press Strike

As you can see, with the exception of God Hammer Punch and Kongo Blast, every card does a nifty 50 damage or higher. As a Yoshimitsu player with a pitiful 160 Health (apparently this is 2nd lowest possible Health for Gold Power cards, 155 HP from Law is the lowest) my chances of survival are slim to none even if I know they are going to focus till they have 5 cards.

Fortunately I think Pauls reign of terror will end by June 11 during Balance Update 03. But in the mean time, you may ask, how do you battle this deck? My answer is simple, dodge any incoming Paul matches (lol). Unfortunately, according to the Tekken Twitter and Facebook page, this option may not be available in the next few days and when that happens, just sit tight till Balance Update 03 and all your frustration against Paul will be rectified as you watch all the QQ from the Tekken Facebook and Twitter Page.

14 comments:

  1. Am I crazy for trying to play a paul heal deck? 3x Thunder Palm 2x Mountain Raze? I guess it used to be viable but MR nerf kinda made the deck a lot weaker...

    Wish I didn't waste my time/gold/credits on getting 2z Mountain Raze..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. If you plan to stick to Paul, I am sure there will be creative ways to utilize Mountain Raze and Thunder Palm. I myself am going to go full out Yoshimitsu, that way I can explore more deck combinations and if my suggestion becomes a reality, it will be even more beneficial! Don't lose faith and don't sell the cards if you plan to stick to Paul. I myself have 6 Bronze Nade Kujaku incase they turn it into a more useful card.

      Delete
  2. so new update makes paul heavy hitter deck broken imo.
    i made a new deck (still need some cards but most of cards i have), plz rate it or give me some information to improve it:
    HP card 155 SR
    3x Hammer punch
    3x Burning Spear
    3x Mountain Raze
    2x Thunder Palm
    1x Down Strike
    1x Juggernaut (Elite version)
    1x Fall Down
    1x Incomplete Sommersault

    As u can see i would like to make a card-draw, discard enemie, and heal deck...
    what do u think about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Just looked at all the cards. they seem to synergize very well with each other. I am not actually a Paul player. but I believe the deck described in this post would fair better. I am sure you are somewhat invested in the deck you commented about so here is what I have to say. Couple hours ago, I invested heavily into a Yoshi Deck that I thought would be so great. Then, I found out it was terrible (lol). I am sorry to say this but, the only way to find out is to actually play it. From the looks of it though, it looks pretty good. By Fall Down, do you mean Fall Away? also, Despite you have all the heal cards, Paul is no Nina. I would recommend Lion's Roar over Incomplete Sommersault but that is just me.

      Stick with Paul. When you've found yourself with a lot of his Gold Cards. you will be able to mix it up for a stronger deck. If the suggestions I made in my suggestions post go through, you won't regret sticking to 1 character. And if balance updates continue, Paul will inevitably be a strong fighter and be able to match any other character.

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. alright, ty for ur comment. i stick to paul and i wanne have all gold cards 3 times and close to all SR cards. i wont play any other charackter so that i can always change my deck if a new balance comes... have now all cards and i will write again after testing it 2 weeks. cya (hope u understand me, my english is HORRIBLE ^^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I understand you perfectly =]. Only way to get better in English is to write more so don't be a stranger on my blog. I am doing the exact same thing with Yoshimitsu. So far, I don't think any of the decks I have are very strong. I look forward to the new cards and the new Conceal Effect next week.

      Delete
  4. Tct did a poor job with the update. Their "balance" of phoenix wings made it on par with the uncommon, and the hp nerf for double strike is a little harsh. Just reducing damage a bit would have made sense, not make paul kill himself even more.

    I did end up selling mountain raze. The only healing I like is thunder palm because it can re shift the tide or trick your opponent into blocking for no reason. It can shift the game by 49 points, while MR can be a useless draw and only shifts 32.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they should have nerfed the damage of the cards that were enabling to focus to five and strike to win, and increase the damage of other cards. I believe a lot of their updates are related to the objective of not having angry customers. If I am correct, I sure hope that changes.

      Delete
  5. Alright i testet my deck and its not that good. (1150-1200 is the end for this deck)i see potential but i have to make some changes and try more. new deck will look like this:
    155HP SR card
    3x hammer punch
    3x burning spear
    3x body blow
    1x fall away
    1x incomplete sommersault
    2x phoenix smasher
    2x thunder palm

    im gonne test this deck and tell my experience with it

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can I submit a Paul deck article to you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. how was the result of the new deck? can anyone share a better deck of paul?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My deck:
    3x thunder palm
    3x mountain raze
    2x lights out
    1x fall away
    1x burning spear
    1x hammer punch
    1x rapid fire to lightning bolt
    1x phoenix smasher
    1x juggernaut (elite version)
    1x incomplete sommersault
    I think its better but... isnt a heavy hitter deck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. edit
      sorry I dont have 155HP SR card

      Delete
  9. hi.. i just play tekken card and see ur post. im just level 5 and currently using 'my first deck'.. can u advise me paul deck to leveling. tq in advance.

    ReplyDelete