Sunday, June 2, 2013

Widgets

Tactics 01 - Decisions

As you guys know, you can choose between Focus, Strike and Block. Sometimes there are situations where the choice is obvious (Opponent has 5 cards and you have 0 cards and opponent's first 2 cards deal 150 damage), other times it requires a decision to be made. The purpose of this post is to help people make that correct decision. This will be the first of hopefully many other posts where I will post a screen shot containing a scenario and I will then discuss my thought and the decision I made. Today's example may not seem obvious, but if you think about it, it really is.

I have removed the name for the sake of anonymity and to avoid flaming and haters. So let's have a look at the scenario.
Decisions in Tekken Card Tournament
Decision to Focus or Block

Ask yourself, what should I do, I only have the option to Focus and Block. Don't know? Here's a Hint, I don't have Gehosen, or Kaishaku. I guess since I am the only one who knows my deck, the correct answer would be to Block. Why? What are Nina's options, She has the ability to do all 3, but I am sure she won't block, so she will Focus or Strike.

Why Block

Let's imagine that she plays focus, so then I would want to play focus correct? Okay, now she has those 2 cards, and a third card that does more than 7 damage (there is not a single gold or SR card for Nina that does less than 10 damage), I will have 1 card, since no one knows what deck I play, there are only 2 cards Yoshimitsu has that can extend this scenario (3 if you include Sakanobori, but that would just put me in the exact same situation and if the Nina is intelligent she will just focus until I don't draw Sakanobori) and those cards would be Gehosen and Kaishaku, which I don't have in my deck. So if Nina decides to focus, I am dead (even though I guessed correctly) no matter what card I draw, guessing correctly just prolongs the inevitable by 1 turn.

So the only other option is to Block. In this situation, the Nina is in control, however you can give her the opportunity screw it up. And if she does, we will end up with 0 cards each and I will have a free chance to draw Magatama and possibly reset this game.

What Actually Happened

The Nina ended up striking me and I blocked both cards. We both played Focus after and I didn't draw Magatama and I lost a couple turns later (lol). Hey, but at least I did the best I could in that situation right? In any case, I am happy to make the decision to block when the opponent has sufficient HP to withstand at least 1 card and I don't have enough HP to withstand any of theirs.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for the post. I'd enjoy some other scenarios. I agree in this case that Block is the right option. Maybe it was a bit too obvious of a scenario to initiate a discussion : )

    ReplyDelete