Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Widgets

Tactics 06 - Fighting Xiaoyu

I decided to create a post about fighting Xiaoyu. I find fighting Xiaoyu extremely frustrating because I have played games where my all my blocks meet their strikes, all my strikes meet their focuses and all my focuses meet their focus/blocks (in other words, win absolutely all rock-paper-scissors) and still end up losing. Maybe I was unlucky and just didn't get the right cards. Maybe the Xiaoyu was lucky and got all the right cards. I have played enough Xiaoyu's to know that when it comes down to it, beating a solid Xiaoyu deck comes down to a little dice roll. Of course you would have to win all your rock-paper-scissors before you can even stand that chance.

The Xiaoyu Code

First, when we think about Xiaoyu, what comes to mind? For me, it is 10 damage cards and constantly having cards all the time. An important aspect to any game is to be able to see and  perceive things as the opponent would. If you were Xiaoyu, when would you strike, when would you focus and when would you block. From my experience fighting with Xiaoyu's, I have this created the following theory:


Xiaoyu will only strike, if there is a guarantee that at the beginning of the next turn, she will have at least 1 card. Otherwise Focus.


Here is a flowchart that summarizes the theory:
Xiaoyu flowchart
Xiaoyu flowchart

Of course, this is all theory and more of a guide that I use which has proven it's worth time and time again in my matches against Xiaoyu. There are other factors which complicate the actual decision making process for Xiaoyu's such as: if I focus, will I activate the opponent's ability, if I don't block, am I 100% going to die, if I strike will I knock the opposing Kazuya to 80 HP and he is holding just 2 Twin Fang Double Kick cards...etc

Here are some scenarios that I have come across to help people understand how to fight Xiaoyu.

Xiaoyu to Strike Yoshimitsu
Imminent strike incoming
Here is a pretty obvious scenario. Xiaoyu will receive 3 cards next turn from her third card, Step Kick. Not Not wanting to waste a single card, she will strike, and take the potential 26 Damage. If Yoshimitsu strikes, he will deal 10 damage, if he focuses, he will lose Oni Kick Combo and Xiaoyu will have 4 cards. So in this case, it is best to block.

Xiaoyu versus Yoshimitsu
Don't block, focus
This scenario a little trickier. Here the Xiaoyu will not receive a card if they strike unless the Yoshimitsu Blocks. In this case I (as the Xiaoyu) would Focus, at least with a 5 card strike it gives most people the incentive to block, thus activating the first card, Peg Leg. As the Yoshimitsu, I would focus. Even if Peg Leg wasn't there, blocking will mitigate 8 damage due to Xiaoyu's 2nd card Wave Crest. Eight damage is worth a card (IMO).

Xiauyo with a strong start
I would block
The beginning of a match against a Xiaoyu player. My SR Power card has given her an extra card and left me with none. I have not seen any of my cards yet and I am not particularly keen on risking 40 damage for a card so I block. The Xiaoyu actually focused to redraw 4 cards. shown in the next scene.

Xiaoyu 5 cards vs 0 card Yoshimitsu
11 Damage, no problem. Focus
From this scenario, Xiaoyu's first 2 cards add up to 11 damage. If I block, she will end up with 2 cards and I will have none. If I focus, I will take an additional 11 damage, and we will both have 1 card at the end of the turn. I take the option to focus because I am using 3x Shisetsu Genman and when Cards = Opp cards, I win.

Tobi Ushikawa allows me to block safely.
Looking at Xiaoyu's cards, Nutcracker gives all her kick cards +6 hit, and Wave Crest allows an extra card to hit. If I were the Xiaoyu, I would block twice and strike. Tobi Ushikawa  puts an end to any striking shenanigans so it is very safe for Yoshimitsu to block. It is important to note that 1 card of Xiaoyu's is worth less than 1 card of any other character.

Xiauyo with Shooting Star
Xiaoyu about to strike
If you read the underlined comment from above, you'll understand why this Xiaoyu should block twice and strike. Dragonfly Fist in position 1 or 2 plays like Tobi Ushikawa so, I have already selected the option to block.

Xiaoyu should definitely NOT strike
So this is the last scene in our fight, the Xiaoyu ended up striking and then boosting my cards by 8 damage due to the effects of Flapping Wings (5th card) and I was able to KO her the next turn. What she should have done was force a 5 card discard (I would have struck after the 2 blocks) or attempt to cycle through cards using the effects of my Shisetsu Genman. Even then, it is really difficult for the Xiaoyu to take the match from this point.

Xiaoyu Weaknesses

If you have a quick scroll through Xiaoyu's cards, you'll notice the following:
  • there is only 1 card that does more than 10 damage
  • Xiaoyu does not possess a reliable source of healing and it is very weak
If you think about it, Xiaoyu is kind of like a weaker (in terms of damage), faster (card drawing) version of Nina with an inferior Heal. Xiaoyu does possess one thing that Nina does not: cards to discard the opponent's cards to disrupt any "Lock" setups. When playing with Xiaoyu, you probably have seen her
entire deck 1-2 times before you've seen yours. Make sure to take note on whether they have the following cards:
  • Street Sweeper: 10 Damage, Kick, After the attack: Opp cards ≥ 4: Opp -2 cards
  • Phoenix Talon: 10 Damage, Kick, After the attack: Block: Both -5 cards & +5 HP
  • Step Kick: 8 Damage, Kick, After the attack: Opp Only Kick: +3 cards
Keeping a lookout on these cards will aide you in your decisions on whether you want to hold on to heal per turn cards, or how many cards you want to focus up to if you decide to do a lock.

When approaching a Xiaoyu, it is important to understand how your own deck works as well. For Example, let's take Yoshimitsu Deck 01. This deck contains 2 heal per turns, 2 block parries and the rest of the cards are damage. When fighting a Xiaoyu with this deck, I of course do my best to block as much incoming damage as possible, (when justified) I also know what HP level I want Xiaoyu to be at (75 HP) and when I should be focusing (to cycle through cards) as oppose to striking, this includes perhaps 5 card discards to so the Xiaoyu forgoes their card advantage unless they want to focus on a potential 5 card strike.

For Kazuya's running 3x Twin Fang Double Kick and 3x Skull Smash, it is a good idea to have at least 2-3 cards when you reach the dangerzone (59-80 HP). A good way of doing this is focus till 3 cards, and 'trick' the Xiaoyu into 5 card striking you by blocking at 2-3 cards till Xiaoyu reaches 5 cards. If the Xiaoyu isn't that bright, they will strike.

Nina can go shot for shot, or tank with Assault Bomb. I would imagine this is a rather favored matchup for Nina players (someone correct me if I am wrong, lol) since Nina can heal consistently and draw fast as well.

Conclusion

Remember these are only guidelines, always take into consideration cards on the field, your/opponent's HP, opponent's play style, the cards in your deck, etc.
  • Xiaoyu will only strike, if there is a guarantee that at the beginning of the next turn, she will have at least 1 card. Otherwise Focus.
  • Remember to keep a lookout for cards such as Street Sweeper, Phoenix Talon, and Step Kick, and use that knowledge to dictate how you play certain cads in your deck.
  • If you gain 1 card from a focus, and a Xiaoyu also gains 1 card (only) from a focus, that was a good exchange on your part.
  • Sometimes you're just unlucky and lose before seeing your 4th card, don't let it bring you down.

Hope this posts helps a lot of people having troubles with Xiaoyu. I can really relate to the last point in the conclusion. Sometimes you are just unlucky, like facing a Panda with Ultra Kuma and Trout Sweep in a 5 card hand or a Kazuya with double Gates of Hell in their 5 card hand.

Double Gates of Hell
How unlucky of me

Don't be afraid to comment or offer more tips.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Could you make a guide for xiaoyu please?
    I can't find it anywhere :(
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jojo

      By "guide" do you mean a deck for Xiaoyu? I was actually working on it but before actually publishing the post I thought my deck was flawed and never actually published it. I will do a closer inspection on my Xiaoyu opponents to try to produce a solid deck. Also, I just really hate Xiaoyu (lol).

      Delete
    2. yey!.. thank you
      can't wait for that :)

      Delete
  2. As a Xiaoyu user myself, I use some of these tactics when I face her :) I use her and Nina. Why you hate Xiaoyu? :( You should hate Lili XD she's annoying LOL I hate facing her

    ReplyDelete
  3. I play lili and xiaoyu lol I just like the play styles.

    ReplyDelete